How To Make Your Driveway The Envy Of Your Neighborhood
Do you dream of a resplendent driveway to be the envy of your neighbors or do you simply have a little mess to clean up? Here is the simple guide to cleaning and maintaining asphalt.
Asphalt – Cleaning
Asphalt may be a solid material, but there are some precautions you should take when cleaning it.
- Once a year, thoroughly wash the driveway to your garage or any other asphalt surface. Sweep up leaves and dirt. Dilute a little powdered detergent in 4 to 5 liters (about one gallon) of water. Pour a little of this mixture on the areas to be cleaned and scrub with a broom. Use the garden hose to rinse – high pressure jets or steam cleaners can damage the coating.
- Clean gasoline and engine oil stains as quickly as possible. Sponge them up with a paper towel, then remove any residue using the garden hose. If that is not enough, mix powdered detergent and water as above, dip a broom into this cleaning solution and scrub.
- Apply this preventative measure: Spread cardboard, newspaper or plastic on the ground before oiling your lawn mower.
- To remove an asphalt stain from clothing: spray it with stain remover, then put the item in the machine. You can also apply an orange oil-based household cleaner to dissolve the stain, but you will need to rinse the fabric well before putting it in the washer.
- Asphalt on your shoes? Scrape it off with a paint scraper or putty knife, then use an orange oil-based or all-purpose household cleaner. Then rinse thoroughly.
- To remove asphalt from your tools once again use an orange oil-based or all-purpose household cleaner. Apply the product to the stains, wait a few minutes, then wipe off. You can use mineral spirits or turpentine but be very careful because they are highly flammable. Don’t spill it in your driveway.
- Asphalt on the skin? Remove it with vegetable oil before soaping yourself.
If asphalt has soiled your car’s body, go to a garage or auto supply store to get a tar cleaner and follow the directions on the package.
Maintenance of an asphalt driveway
- Redo the waterproofing of your driveway every 2 or 3 years (no more) with a suitable product to protect it from the elements. On the other hand, if this operation is repeated too often, you will obtain a thick layer of material which will then begin to crack.
- Use asphalt grout (available at hardware stores and home centers) to fill any cracks in a driveway, which will prevent seeds from germinating in the holes and making the situation worse.
- Avoid turning your steering wheel in all directions when your car is stopped. It’s as bad for the coating as it is for your tires, especially in hot weather.
- Do not place any heavy or sharp objects on cool or hot asphalt – bicycle or motorcycle crutch, table, chair, ladder, car jack, among others.
Remember that a clean entrance will be inviting! Put into practice what you have learned here and you may be surprised at the results!
Get in touch with a professional
With our qualified professionals, you are guaranteed to obtain a final result of the highest quality and lasting. Our work is always carried out with meticulousness and respect at Skye Asphalt. We are constantly rewarded for the quality offered to our customers.
Contact us now: (469) 251-5892
Continue reading on next article “Frequently Asked Questions About Asphalts“